This is my New Years post, half a month late. It’s still January and it’s still the beginning of the year, so oh well!
2014 Reading/Blogging Goals
- a new review system, a new rating system – I’d like to come up with a better-for-me review format and a different rating system. Rating is so difficult (as we all know) and I need to figure out something that works for me.
- keep track of books read – I’m already trying to keep track of everything I read this year. In 2013, I would read romance novels or random books on Overdrive and forget to list them anywhere. I don’t really want to pressure myself to read a certain number, but I do want to keep track of what I read. I guess I will have to do this with my Overdrive DNF’s of books that seem interesting but I only get through a chapter of, so I’ll be able to see what to stay away from (but I won’t, I never learn).
- read different genres, try different things – I have been reading different genres and more adult fiction and I want to continue that and branch out further. I think I want to try more Literary Fiction, and some of those books that make all the best lists, even if I end up not loving or getting them like everyone else. I also want to read more fantasy and science fiction and discover new areas and genres to pick up. I am greedy for stories and I need to explore more.
- read more classics – In a similar vein, I’d like to read more classics. I don’t want to overwhelm myself, but I definitely want to add more classics to my reading.
- post more – With life changes, I’m not sure this one will be as likely, but I’d like to be able to post more. I’d like to be more present on the blog.
- variety of posts, be more creative – I want to find more interesting ways to blog. I like reviews, because I often feel the need to talk about books I read. But I know that blogs with only reviews aren’t always fun, and if it’s a book you haven’t read it’s difficult to comment or care much. I want to be more creative and have content that’s enjoyable and makes readers want to return.
- write reviews more quickly – I need to get a lot better about writing reviews quicker and not stewing over them. I need to become better at just letting my thoughts out. I do want them to make sense, and sometimes my thoughts and feelings on books don’t really make sense to me, which makes them difficult for me to explain in posts. I want to try to be better at writing about them. I want to get them out and done.
- keep up with posts I like and link to them – I absolutely love finding interesting posts through recap posts like the type Asti and many other bloggers do. I find so many great posts and I need to be better at sharing the love and linking to others!
- be more interactive with bloggers on twitter – I want to be more interactive with bloggers, through comments and on twitter. I am awkward and sometimes too negative when I don’t mean to be. Sometimes I totally blunder when I try to be social, even online. There are a lot of times when I see tweets and think of things to say but pass because I think my reply sounds dumb or I’m just not sure the other person cares. But I want to try to be better about this and shrug off interactions that don’t go well because it’s obviously not the end of the world and there are many other people out there.
an extremely short 2013 wrap-up
top 5 books I read in 2013 (not in order) = The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater (review|goodreads), Vicious by V.E. Schwab (review|goodreads), Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson (review|goodreads), Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas (review to come|goodreads), Tell The Wolves I’m Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (goodreads)
nice bloggers make blogging more enjoyable and always have great content (abc order and I’m sure I’m missing some, sorry!)
- Andi at Estella’s Revenge
- Asti at A Bookish Heart
- Cayce at Fighting Dreamer
- Danielle at The Book Barn
- Estelle at Reading Gals
- Eve at Paper Grey
- Lauren at Books, Tea & Me
- Lee at Rally the Reader
I’m pretty sure this would have had a lot more on it (like redesigning/maaaaaybe a rename/organizing/keeping up with the blogs I have on Feedly/a lot more) but things went awry. I wanted to post this anyway. Thanks for reading!